Friday, March 5, 2010

Cueva de las Manos

Wow! I visited Cueva de las Manos (Cave of the Hands) which is a Unisco World Heritage Site. As you can see from the pictures it is amazing. I could feel the ancient people around the area as their hand prints and drawings jumped out of the rock walls. The feeling was so positive and clean.

It felt good to walk a bit. I rode to the canyon and parked at the rim. The walk down was slippery. Then I had to walk up the other side of the canyon to the ranger station. At 3 pm the tour started and we all donned hard hats.

I saw a picture of the hands when I was at a gas station and it brought tears to my eyes. Then I noticed it on the map and decided to go. I had a late start to the day, as I had to fax some papers back home. So it all worked out perfectly.

I’m spending the night at a little town called Bajo Caracoles which is just south of Cueva de las Manos. Tomorrow, I’ll drive to Fitz Roy and probably spend the night near there. The next day, I’ll go to Parke National de Torres del Paine. The day after, I’ll go to Punta Arenas and then to Ushuaia at the bottom of the continent. Then, up to Buenes Aires for the return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment